Saturday, March 29, 2014

Visiting Aunt Jean

On Wednesday, my dad, Brenda, and I traveled "south".  We drove down to San Jose to visit my dad's sister, Jean. 
I am sad to say that I don't really know my Aunt Jean very well.  When I was little, my family went to her house a few times for Thanksgiving.  Before we would arrive, our dad would have warned us to be quiet, to not touch anything, and to never ask for anything to eat!  We lived in San Pablo and Aunt Jean in Santa Clara. We only lived one hour apart from each other.  I do not know why Dad and Aunt Jean did not make an effort to visit one another.  My dad would always say that he did not travel "south", and Aunt Jean never visited us at our home.  I guess both of them were just too busy with life to have much to do with one another. 
So, back to our visit on Wednesday... We visited with my 88 year old Aunt Jean and her granddaughter, Renee.  Aunt Jean was so sweet!  She had almost a permanent smile on her face.  She said that she was happy to see us, calling all of us by the wrong name :-) My dad and Aunt Jean sat on the couch together.  She looked so small and frail, and so much like my dad! They sat there together, my dad holding her hand.  At times, I thought my dad was going to cry.  I wonder what he was thinking, as he sat there with her.  Our visit was short, but very nice.  I am sad that I have not taken the time to get to know my Aunt Jean better.  I am sure that I have missed out on knowing a wonderful person!

No comments: